This position will remain open until a successful candidate has been identified.
UC San Diego Health is a Magnet designated organization, which is a prestigious recognition that applies to only 6% of all U.S. hospitals. Magnet is the “gold standard” for nursing excellence and is based on strengths in five key areas which include transformational leadership, structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice, new knowledge, innovation and improvements and empirical quality results. UC San Diego Health has held its Magnet status since 2011.
The Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurse (WOCN) functions as a member of the CWOC Nurse team for UC San Diego Health.
- The WOC Nurse will provide services to both inpatients and outpatients, families, and healthcare team.
- Selected candidate will function as a clinical expert consultant and educator for ostomy, wound and continence patient.
- Selected candidate will work with WOC Nurse Team to collaboratively implement evidence-based practice to ensure quality patient outcomes, provide education and develop programs for clinical nurses, and support quality improvement projects.
- Participate in and/or lead efforts within organization to reduce hospital acquired pressure injury (HAPI) rate.
- Consults healthcare team experts as needed.
- Make recommendations for products.
- Provides mentorship and precepts healthcare team members and student nurses.
Autonomous nursing care is the ability of a nurse to assess and provide nursing actions as appropriate for patient care populations based on competence, professional expertise, and knowledge. The nurse is expected to practice autonomous, consistent with ANA Standards of Practice. Independent judgment is expected to be exercised within the context of interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches to patient care. Ensures optimal level of practice by assuming responsibility for self-development in life-long learning.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN).
- RN license issued by the State of California
- BART or BLS at time of hire with commitment to get BART within 6 months of hire date.
- Minimum 5 years recent RN experience.
- Recent RN experience in Wound and Ostomy care.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Skills and ability to prioritize.
- Proficient with information systems and computer programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN)
- Two (2) or more years of experience in Wound, Ostomy, and Continence care.
- Wound, Ostomy, Continence certification (CWOCN).
- Must be able to commute to various sites, based on the UC San Diego Health System needs.
- Must be able to work various hours, days, shifts, on-call.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.