This is a Contract/Limited position. This appointment may be extended or converted to career status based on the needs of the department.
The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have impacted UC San Diego Campus hiring. UCSD Campus will continue to recruit for essential positions and we ask for your understanding and patience with our application process during this unprecedented time. For more information regarding steps we are taking to keep applicants and staff safe during this time, please click here.
UC San Diego Policy will not allow this position to receive work visa sponsorship.
UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County.
Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO). Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are core values at UC San Diego and within Information Technology Services. Crafting a culture around these values allows us to more deeply connect with and appreciate our employees, students, and campus partners. Information Technology Services is continuously working to build a community where we all feel safe, empowered, and encouraged to bring our authentic selves to work. We do this not only because it is what’s right, but because we know that diversity drives insight and innovation. We are proud to partner closely UC San Diego’s Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, as their dedication to this mission helps us all to drive change.
We are looking for a talented Business systems analyst who will be leading and facilitating business process analysis for multiple technical projects in support of various campus-wide IT initiatives. Business Systems Analyst will work collaboratively on cross-functional teams to meet strategic objectives. This position will work on a selection of projects across the realms of academic and business systems.
The Enterprise Systems Renewal (ESR) program is a current UCSD initiative that will transform and streamline core business and administrative processes. It is the largest technology improvement program ever undertaken at UC San Diego. Enterprise Systems Renewal (ESR) program is a multi-year initiative that will reshape the way UC San Diego does business. With input from subject matter experts from central offices and academic departments across campus, the program's focus is optimization of core business and administrative practices as we deliver new systems that will effectively meet the needs of our growing university.
This position will contribute directly to the business systems analysis needs for the SIS project and other projects under the ESR program.
- Gaining solid understanding of what the business does and how it does it
- Interviewing stakeholders to generate a rich picture of business needs
- Follow along technical project conversations with ease, and bringing analytical insights
- Creating a detailed business analysis, outlining problems, anticipating requirements, uncovering areas for improvement, highlighting arears of risks / concerns
- Translate business needs identified by stakeholders into business requirements document
- Use data driven approach to facilitate evaluation of available options
- Effectively communicating your insights and plans to cross-functional team members and management.
- Partner closely with project manager, process analysts, SMEs and project team members to optimize project deliverables
- Deliver data-driven recommendations and reports to executives and stakeholders
- Tracing requirements from inception to delivery of selected solution
Support user acceptance testing by providing input for test plans/ test scripts to ensure that the product is functioning well as it is designed for.
Employee must be available to work evenings and weekends.
- Employee must be available to travel as required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in related area; and / or equivalent experience, training, or certifications.
- Advanced knowledge of business and process analysis functions.
- Knowledge relating to the design of processes and software across the organization.
- Understanding and skill in complex process and systems requirement documentation standards, such as Use Case modeling, User Story creations and narrative description.
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Interpersonal and communications skills to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Advanced skills and methodologies associated with process and software design, modification and implementation.
- Demonstrated skills needed to develop process and system implementation plans.
- Demonstrated experience with process analysis, systems analysis, process architectures and systems analysis methodologies and practices including traditional waterfall, Agile, Agile Scrum, UML, UML Enterprise, et cetera.
- Demonstrated testing and test planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds.
- Job offer is contingent on clear background check.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full benefits first day of hire:
a) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
b) Vacation/holidays (15 vacation days & 13 paid holidays a year)
c) Work/Life Balance
d) Life insurance
e) UC Retirement Plan
f) Pet Insurance
For more information about UCSD Benefits please click here
and visit UCSD Work/Life.
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.