Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 01/31/2020. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
UC San Diego Health, comprising a comprehensive health system throughout San Diego County, UC San Diego School of Medicine and Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, is one of five academic medical systems within the University of California system. We are committed to improving patient care while also researching new treatments and training tomorrow’s doctors and pharmacists. For more than 50 years, our renowned clinicians and scientists have made advances in numerous fields, and our specialty patient care is consistently ranked among the nation’s best by U.S. News & World Report.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, UC San Diego Health, and the Vice Chancellor, Health Sciences, with a dotted line reporting relationship to the UC Senior Vice President/ Chief Compliance and Audit Officer, the UC San Diego Health Chief Compliance and Privacy Officer provides overall guidance and oversight for the development, implementation, and ongoing administration and monitoring of practices which promote an effective Compliance and Privacy Program for UC San Diego Health Sciences.
As Chief Compliance Officer: Ensures that UC San Diego Health Sciences Compliance Program is consistent with UC and UC San Diego Standards of Business Conduct, ethical principles, and core values; and promote adherence to applicable federal and state laws to advance the prevention of fraud, waste, and abuse, while providing quality healthcare to those served by UC San Diego Health.
As Chief Privacy Officer: The position oversees all ongoing activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance, and adherence to UC and UC San Diego Health Sciences policies and procedures covering the privacy of and access to patient protected health information (PHI) in compliance with applicable state and federal laws.
• Providing overall leadership and direction to the UCSD Health System and Health Sciences Compliance Program in accordance with UCOP Health Sciences Compliance Program policy
Development of Annual Compliance Work Plan.
• Disseminating information to and educating of UC San Diego Health employees regarding a broad spectrum of compliance related topics.
• Maintaining a current working knowledge of Federal and State regulations and policies as they affect UC San Diego Health through regular review of various industry resources, websites and publications.
• Functioning as key compliance leader/ liaison in meetings with federal/state agencies and industry organizations regarding compliance and regulatory policy.
• Providing education and training about actual, proposed, or pending legislation and regulations that affect operations and identifying operational obstacles to compliance, and working across the organization to identify and implement solutions.
• Creation, maintenance and revision of applicable UC San Diego Health compliance policies/program. Periodic revision of Corporate Compliance Program in light of changes in the organization's needs, and in the statutes, rules, regulations, and requirements of Federal and State health care programs.
• Measurement of compliance by conducting routine and/or focused internal audits of policy/procedure adherence, as well as coordinating audits generated by external sources.
Development, coordination and participation in routine multifaceted educational and training programs for leadership, faculty and staff that focus on the elements of the Compliance Program, thus striving to ensure that all appropriate employees and management are knowledgeable of and comply with pertinent Federal and State Health care program requirements.
• Providing overall leadership and direction on health care internal investigations of compliance issues. Ensuring that all appropriate corrective action is taken.
• Protecting UC San Diego Health interests which may be affected by proposed legislative and/or regulatory issues. Develop and contribute to UC San Diego Health’s image as a key AMC and ethical voice in related health care issues through participation in industry organizations.
• Identifies systemic privacy issues of importance to the medical center and health system. Develops risk assessment and mitigation plans for specific areas.
• Oversees consistent application and compliance of privacy systems, policies and programs across the health system to ensure compliance with external regulations and professional standards. Advises leadership on decisions affecting multiple levels and areas of the medical center or health system. Develops methods and seeks opportunities to increase manager and staff awareness of privacy compliance programs and associated processes.
• Plans, designs and implements strategic policies, systems and projects with impact on a medical center or system-wide to improve operations while still maintaining compliance with privacy and access to health information. Represents the function in senior leadership strategic planning meetings and discussions.
• Identifies privacy compliance issues of importance to the medical center and / or health system which frequently cross organizational lines. Develops risk assessment and mitigation plans. Serves as liaison for compliance and ethics issues to internal and external constituencies. Ensures consistent application of sanctions for controversial situations and violations of policies, in conjunction with legal, human resources, medical staff administration and risk management, as necessary.
• Interacts across the health system to address controversial privacy and compliance situations and negotiations. Influences senior and executive leadership. Advises leadership on decisions impacting multiple levels and areas of the health system. Develops methods and seeks opportunities to increase manager and staff awareness of privacy and compliance programs and associated processes.
• Develops, implements and monitors the short and long range financial plans for the medical center and/or health system privacy program. Collaborates with senior management on fiscal planning proposals. Oversees through subordinate managers the accountability and stewardship of resources to meet budget targets.
• Instills strong management practices and monitors that subordinate managers achieve quality results, maintain compliance standards, guide professional staff, and report on workload. Fosters change management skills in subordinate leadership to promote an agile and flexible workforce.
• Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance.
- Fifteen or more years of health care compliance management experience.
- Experience and proven knowledge of privacy and compliance best practices, clinical operations and patient care work flow and ability to implement in an acute care setting and improve upon industry standards and best practices.
- Extensive corporate compliance experience in health care, preferably in an academic Medical Sciences setting with a demonstrated understanding of all elements of an effective corporate compliance program as defined by current industry standards and benchmarks in relationship to practice plan management and health care delivery, including strategy, business planning, operations and finance.
- Expertise in all aspects of assigned functions, including development and management and successful implementation of corporate compliance risk assessments and work plans, reporting systems and controls.
- Excellent working knowledge of federal and state health care laws and regulations, including Medicare and MediCal, third party payers, Stark and Anti-kickback statutes and regulations, HITECH and state privacy rules and regulations and other rules that pertain to external agencies and businesses related to health care.
- Knowledge of the issues and challenges facing the clinical, education and research components of the Medical Sciences with a full understanding of, and ability to adopt corporate compliance efforts to effectively respond to changes in health care and research practices, legal/regulatory changes and technological trends.
- Ability to accomplish results and effectively integrate functions across units with business plans amid competing priorities in a complex multi-mission organization.
- Effectively communicates and educates in a way that builds and maintains a climate of trust and inspires commitment from others to achieve organization goals.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of faculty, management and staff, as well as representatives of regulatory agencies and businesses.
- Demonstrates and sets high standards of behavior, performance, quality, credibility and integrity. Exhibits judgment and business acumen necessary to effectively advocate for corporate compliance agenda.
- Consistently interacts with all members of the organization in ways that enhance understanding, respect, cooperation and problem-solving.
- Recognizes the need for change; adapts to, and causes others to adapt to values, strategies, goals and plans in response to changing business conditions.
- Generates and encourages creative ideas, innovative thinking and imaginative solutions to issues or problems. Is able and willing to solve problems from various points of view and make difficult decisions.
- Understands the approaches and methods of process improvement, including planning, setting priorities, systematic performance assessment, implementation based on such assessment, and maintaining achieved improvement.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the Microsoft suite of software, electronic mail, internet research, and presentation software.
- Juris Doctor degree.
- Extensive compliance experience within a large academic health system.
- Extensive background in fraud, waste and abuse.
- Certified in Healthcare Privacy and Security (CHPS).
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.