UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 09/15/2017 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor. Eligible Disability Counseling and Consulting services (DCC) or Special Selection clients should contact their Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor for assistance.
UC San Diego Health is a Magnet designated organization, which is a prestigious recognition that applies to only 6% of all U.S. hospitals. Magnet is the “gold standard” for nursing excellence and is based on strengths in five key areas which include transformational leadership, structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice, new knowledge, innovation and improvements and empirical quality results. UC San Diego Health has held its Magnet status since 2011.
Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Medicine Unit (NBMU) Adult Service is an 18-bed locked inpatient unit for patients age 18 years and older with a variety of psychiatric conditions. Patients are voluntary or involuntary — either on a 72-hour hold or 14-day certification for danger to self, danger to others, or grave disability, or on a conservatorship for grave disability.
The average length of stay is nine days, with a significant portion of patients admitted and discharged within three days or less. Treatment takes place within a multidisciplinary team format with shared responsibility and includes the following: pharmacotherapy; psychotherapeutic and behavioral interventions; electroconvulsive therapy; family therapy; neuropsychological assessments; group therapy; recreational therapy; and health education.
Autonomous nursing care is the ability of a nurse to assess and provide nursing actions as appropriate for patient care populations based on competence, professional expertise, and knowledge. The nurse is expected to practice autonomously consistent with ANA Standards of Practice and Professional Performance. Independent judgment is expected to be exercised within the context of interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches to patient care.
While not required, a cover letter is highly recommended when applying to this position.
- RN License issued by the State of California.
- BART or BLS at time of hire with commitment to get BART w/in 6 months of hire date.
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year of relevant RN psych experience.
- Extensive and comprehensive knowledge regarding DSM V psychiatric diagnosis and plan of care/treatment.
- Extensive and comprehensive knowledge regarding antipsychotic, anti-anxiety, mood stabilizers, antidepressants and other applicable psychiatric medications.
- Advanced assertive communication skills with critical thinking skills and the ability to quickly problem solve in a crisis.
- Bilingual: English/Spanish.
- ANCC certified as a Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse.
- Recent acute care psych experience.
- Must be able to work various hours, days, shifts, on-call and various locations based on the 24-hour Medical Center's business needs.
- Selected candidate may be hired at the CNIII level pending review and approval by the Nurse Executive Council.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.