This position will remain open until a successful candidate has been identified.
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 09/28/2020 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 10/07/2020. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
UC San Diego Health is a Magnet designated organization, which is a prestigious recognition that applies to only 6% of all U.S. hospitals. Magnet is the “gold standard” for nursing excellence and is based on strengths in five key areas which include transformational leadership, structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice, new knowledge, innovation and improvements and empirical quality results. UC San Diego Health has held its Magnet status since 2011.
This role will serve as a general expert perinatal clinician, educator, researcher, consultant and leader for nursing staff, patients, families and members of inter-professional health care teams. Collaborates with the nursing leadership team and inter-professional team to ensure cost-effective professional practice standards within the patient population based on best practices and evidence.
Will work collaboratively with Nursing Education team members within Women and Infant Services at both La Jolla and Hillcrest campus, as well as other supporting units throughout UC San Diego Health.
Job functions include, but are not limited to:
- Support nursing orientation and coordinate competency, and curriculum development efforts for perinatal and Women and Infant Services staff, as well as is indicated house-wide
- Assume leadership role in developing evidence-based perinatal clinical nursing practice by developing and updating policies and guidelines
- Coordinate and standardize education and competency development of perinatal nursing staff based on needs assessment and practice changes. Promote perinatal nursing competency through education programs for both the newly-hired and experienced nursing staff.
- Provide just in time training and consultation with perinatal staff related to complex diagnoses and procedures
- Participate in multi-disciplinary consultations on complex perinatal nursing issues.
- Supports mock code simulation exercises
- Coordinate and ensure the implementation of an organized approach to management of high-risk perinatal patients
- Collaborate with perinatal nursing and OB physician leadership to provide high quality patient care and ensure optimal patient outcomes
- Collaborate with Nursing Education team members to ensure consistent practice across Women and Infant services as well as alignment with nursing across UC San Diego Health
- Actively participate in efforts to monitor metrics and achieve quality outcomes for perinatal patients, Women and Infant Services, and UC San Diego Health
- Support Women and Infant Services in adhering to state and national regulatory requirements
- Mentor and coach clinical staff completing clinical advancement performance improvement or evidence-based practice change projects
Under the direction of the department director or designee, the CNS or Nurse Educator prioritizes and manages multiple demands in an ever changing healthcare environment. Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills are required. Must be able to use word processing and presentation software. Ability to effectively coordinate efforts with others, including interdisciplinary groups. Self-motivated and proven ability to work both independently or effectively as a team member with a variety of healthcare specialists.
While not required, a cover letter is highly recommended when applying to this position.
Registered Nurse (RN) issued by the state of California.
BART or BLS at time of hire with commitment to get BART within six months of hire date.
Current certification from a nationally recognized accrediting organization.
Five or more years of relevant nursing experience
Advanced fetal monitoring instructor experience, and additional education experience
Experience with performance improvement projects and demonstrated outcomes
Proficient with information systems and computer programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Excellent interpersonal, organizational, planning and leadership skills.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Able to work effectively in a team environment and with patients and their families.
Experience in a teaching hospital.
Certified by the State Board of Registered Nursing as a CNS, as per the California Business and Professions Code, Chapter 6, Section 2838 of the Nursing Practice Act.
Three years of experience in perinatal nursing
Experience in educator role
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Some travel is required.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.