UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 08/16/2019 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 08/27/2019. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The description of this position has been slightly modified as of 8/23/2019.
UC San Diego Health is a Magnet designated organization, which is a prestigious recognition that applies to only 6% of all U.S. hospitals. Magnet is the “gold standard” for nursing excellence and is based on strengths in five key areas which include transformational leadership, structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice, new knowledge, innovation and improvements and empirical quality results. UC San Diego Health has held its Magnet status since 2011.
Reports directly to the La Jolla Periop Nursing Director with a dotted line to the Hillcrest Periop Nursing Director. Under supervision, utilizes theoretical management concepts and leadership skills in assigned area(s) assisting with clinical management and administrative coordination. The incumbent plans with the OR Schedule Coordinator/Staff Educator for the daily assignment of members in their specialty, organizing direct patient care activity to achieve the highest level of quality/cost standards. Develops work schedules as required for the specialty team using established guidelines within the OR.
Participates in departmental quality monitoring program & coordinates and monitors Quality Management activities for Specialty area. Reviews daily OR schedules and changes of shift assignments, adjusts staffing needs to meet team and unit needs. Collaborates with multidisciplinary teams (CC, ORSC, Anesthesiology, Surgical Teams, Surgical Pavilions, Strategic Sourcing, Biomedical Engineering, Data Administration, Facilities, Information Technology, Central Sterile Supply, Radiology). Performs daily rounds first thing in the morning and at the end of the day. Other related duties as required.
- Supports the Vision, Mission, and Pride Standards of the health system and Periop Core Values of the department through a collaborative relationship with surgery, anesthesia and nursing.
- Builds and supports a patient-focused collaborative environment fostering excellence in clinical nursing practice.
- Ensures policies and procedures for the operating room and the hospital are followed.
- Uses clinical knowledge and experience to ensure high quality of care is delivered.
- Ensures that the patients, physicians and staff are provided a safe environment and have the required resources available for each surgery to meet the patient’s needs.
- Takes 24 X 7 accountability for day to day operations and ensures adequate coverage is maintained for assigned pods.
- Shows initiative to develop new processes to improve existing work flows.
- Participates actively in patient flow decision making and supports front line decisions.
- Manages patient throughput by anticipating and addressing drivers of potential bottlenecks.
- Identifies, supports, manages, and stabilizes performance improvement initiatives.
This position is the OR Clinical Coordinator for General Surgery including Colorectal, SurgOnc, Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS), Pediatrics, and GI.
While not required, a cover letter is highly recommended when applying to this position. The application for this position has a few open-ended questions at the end. Please take time and thoughtful consideration when completing the application.
Must be a graduate from an accredited school of Nursing.
Diploma or Associate degree with two (2) years clinical experience; or a Baccalaureate Degree with one (1) year of clinical experience; or a Masters Degree with six (6) months of clinical experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Registered Nurse (RN) issued by the state of California.
BART or BLS at time of hire with commitment to get BART within six (6) months of hire date.
Minimum one (1) year of recent OR RN work experience in an acute care hospital.
Knowledge of relevant healthcare information technology and patient care workflows and processes.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Must have strong decision making, problem solving and prioritizing skills.
Five (5) years of OR nursing experience with at least two (2) of those years within the surgical specialty area.
CNOR or Certification within the surgical specialty.
UCSD Perioperative experience within general surgery (Colorectal, SurgOnc, MIS, Pediatrics, and/or GI).
- Must be able to work variable hours, days, shifts, on-call and locations based on the 24-hour Medical Center's business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.