Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 8/27/2019. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
UC San Diego Health is a Magnet designated organization, which is a prestigious recognition that applies to only 6% of all U.S. hospitals. Magnet is the “gold standard” for nursing excellence and is based on strengths in five key areas which include transformational leadership, structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice, new knowledge, innovation and improvements and empirical quality results. UC San Diego Health has held its Magnet status since 2011.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Nursing, Perioperative Services, the Nursing Director, Hillcrest Perioperative Services is accountable for the provision of quality nursing care delivered to patients across the Perioperative Services (PS) on the Hillcrest campus to manage and enforce quality guidelines and regulatory functions. This role works collaboratively to optimize PS resource utilization.
The Nursing Director is integral in managing nurse satisfaction and implementing initiatives that improve the patient, staff, and provider experience. This individual acts as a liaison between UC San Diego Health nursing administration, other PS Leaders, nurses and staff to create a culture of open communication in a safe and supportive environment. Implements PS’s Strategic Plan aligned with UC San Diego Health’s strategic plan. Maintains personal development plan and provide management development and coaching for other members of the team. Represents UC San Diego Health at state, local and national level through involvement in professional associations and organizations. Assures financial accountability for annual operating and capital expenditures and budgets. Assures efficiencies in staffing and resource utilization by comparison with internal and external benchmarks as measured by productivity units appropriate for areas managed. Supervises the monitoring of inventory for the department; review service and maintenance contracts. Prepares, coordinates, evaluates, and manages annual fiscal operating and capital equipment budgets for assigned areas; evaluates and manages operating revenue/expense variances monthly; and prepares written reports. Develops methods for fiscal analysis, conducts financial and quantitative analysis and monitors existing or proposed programs and services. Maintains 24 hour accountability in planning, managing, controlling, and organizing comprehensive, safe, efficient, and high quality patient care for PS on the La Jolla campus. Establishes and maintains standards of care and unit policies and procedures. Consistently demonstrates behaviors that model UC San Diego Health’s core values and mission statement. Adheres to the ANA Nurse Administration Scope & Standards of Practice.
This position monitors daily operations and overall function of the following departments: Hillcrest Operating Rooms (ORs), Hillcrest Pre-Op and PACU, and a future ambulatory surgery center in development. Oversees staff while maintaining budget and all Nurse Director functions according to the job description. This position will work closely with leadership and team members from all PS entities on the Hillcrest campus, to include Hillcrest Medical Center and its 11 ORs. Hillcrest is a Level One Trauma Center.
While not required, a cover letter is highly recommended when applying to this position. The application includes a few open-ended questions. We appreciate your time and thoughtful consideration when completing the questionnaire.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Nursing required. Master's preferred.
- Registered Nurse license issued by the State of California.
- BART, or BLS/CPR certification at time of hire with commitment to obtain BART within six months of hire date.
- Eight or more years of relevant experience; including at least five years managing both OR and PACU RN experience in an acute care hospital setting.
- Minimum three years recent supervisory or management experience. Demonstrated success building, managing and leading effective teams.
- Knowledge of relevant healthcare information technology and patient care workflows and processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant regulatory requirements, as well as related legislative, accreditation, licensing and compliance environments.
- Demonstrated hospital management skills, with progressive expertise in patient care services.
- Knowledge to manage disaster incidents, sentinel events and ability to problem solve with critical thinking skills.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing or relevant area.
- Five or more years of manager or higher level leadership experience within perioperative services.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.