UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 08/16/2017 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor. Eligible Disability Counseling and Consulting services (DCC) or Special Selection clients should contact their Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor for assistance.
UC San Diego Health is a Magnet designated organization, which is a prestigious recognition that applies to only 6% of all U.S. hospitals. Magnet is the “gold standard” for nursing excellence and is based on strengths in five key areas which include transformational leadership, structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice, new knowledge, innovation and improvements and empirical quality results. UC San Diego Health has held its Magnet status since 2011.
The Clinical Nurse II provides clinically expert triage service for the multi-specialty Pulmonary and Sleep Center. The CN II will serve as a liaison between patients and physicians, assessing and determining the acuity of patient symptoms and communicating these to the physicians as appropriate. The CN II will interview patients regarding presenting problems to determine and expedite disposition as well as assist with procedures done in clinic.
The CN II will perform outpatient nursing functions, assist physicians as required, convey instructions and lab results to patients and provide health education as needed. The CN II will respond to all EPIC messages and refill requests, maintain and restock equipment and supplies, and sterilize instruments. The CN II is responsible for triaging all incoming patient calls and electronic messages to prioritize and resolve as appropriate while managing and documenting all communications in the electronic medical record system.
While not required, a cover letter is highly recommended when applying to this position.
- RN license issued by the State of California.
- BART or BLS/CPR at time of hire with commitment to get BART within 6 months of hire date.
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing.
- Must have more than six (6) months of active nursing experience.
- Must be able to meet HIPAA compliance upon hire.
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and accurately both verbally and in writing.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, using tact and diplomacy in order to interact effectively with all levels of professional staff and a diversity of patients.
- Must have skill in appropriate telephone techniques.
- Must have knowledge of medical terminology and basic medical equipment.
- Must be ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must have skill in interpreting lab test results commonly used in the clinical area.
- Experience in Pulmonary-Surgical Nursing and triage expertise to identify and implement nursing interventions.
- Working knowledge of outpatient services with recent direct patient care experience.
- Two (2) years of clinical nursing experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in a Pulmonary and Sleep outpatient care center.
- Knowledge and skill to provide wound cleansing/debriding and application of dressings, proper use of heat/cold therapy, and application of splints for immobilization of extremities.
- Knowledge and skill in performing emergency procedures.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Some travel may be required.
- Selected candidate may be hired at the CNIII level pending review and approval by the Nurse Executive Council.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.