UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 09/16/2019 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 09/26/2019. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The Financial Clearance and Insurance Authorization Specialist I is an experienced revenue cycle professional responsible for financially securing scheduled and unscheduled hospital and professional services by verifying insurance eligibility and benefits coverage, and by securing insurance pre-certification and/or authorization for inpatient and/or outpatient services.
The Specialist communicates the status of coverage/benefits verification and authorization directly with patients and providers, and facilities rescheduling of services as appropriate. The Specialist provides and collects estimated patient liability amounts.
High School diploma; or an equivalent level of education and experience.
Demonstrated hospital and/or professional services pre-access or billing experience.
Minimum of three (3) years of hospital and/or professional services pre-access or billing experience in an academic or other complex, multispecialty setting.
May consider less than three (3) years of experience for candidates with a college degree.
Solid understanding of principles of excellent customer service, customer communications, and/or problem resolution relevant to healthcare settings.
Experience must include insurance eligibility and benefits coverage verification, obtaining pre-certification and/or authorization for medical services, and providing explanations and/or estimates of patient financial responsibility.
Experience with insurance/benefits verification portals or other applications, and experience with Epic or other similar patient registration, scheduling and/or billing information systems.
Demonstrated knowledge eligibility, covered benefits, medical necessity and pre-authorization rules for federal, state, and commercial third-party payers.
Proven knowledge of medical terminology, CPT, ICD-10, HCPCS, NDC, and modifier codes, including impact on benefits eligibility, authorization, and reimbursements for medical services.
Demonstrated ability to understand and interpret payer contract terms and insurance verification/benefits eligibility responses.
Strong understanding of deductibles, coinsurance and non-covered benefits, and ability to derive accurate estimate of patient responsibility.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications (including Outlook, Skype/Lync, Excel and Word).
- Community college or university courses in medical terminology, medical coding, finance or other relevant subject matter.
- NAHAM Certified Healthcare Access Manager, HFMA Certified Revenue Cycle Representative, and/or Certified Procedural Coder (CPC or CPC-H) certifications.
- A minimum of four (4+) or more years of relevant experience.
- Experience with both hospital and professional services pre-certification and authorization experience.
- Prefer experience with benefits verification and authorization initial and additional inpatient hospital days, inpatient and outpatient procedures, outpatient diagnostic services, provider consultations and other visits, prescription drugs, SNF, rehabilitation services, durable medical equipment, and home health.
- Demonstrated experience working with Epic registration, scheduling and referral applications.
- Completion of organization-sponsored or professional organization training in principles of customer service, customer communications and/or problem resolution relevant to healthcare settings.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.