This is a Contract/Limited position. This appointment may be extended or converted to career status based on the needs of the department.
UC San Diego Policy will not allow this position to receive work visa sponsorship.
Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County.
Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
The IT Computing Infrastructure teams provides Mainframe, Data Center, Service Operations, Customer Engagement, Computing Infrastructure, Enterprise Network and Data Management for ITS and the campus community. The group consists of several teams and leaders.
As the Senior Systems Engineer, this position will manage and support Enterprise software applications deployed in Linux and Windows to thousands of faculty, staff, students and others. Some of these enterprise services include Hana Platform Management involving patching, cloud management and design, integration, and support. iPaaS Platform Engineer supporting platform integration for Kafka, Informatica, and various data endpoints requiring configuring and access to these systems. OpenEdX Platform Management and Support in AWS. A10 (Load Balancer) management and configuration of applications and systems. Cloud Engineer providing design and configuration of applications deployed in AWS and VMware.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce. This position is eligible for full:
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- UC Retirement Plan.
For more information about UCSD Benefits visit - http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/index.html
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/total-compensation-calculator.php
- Applies advanced systems infrastructure concepts and campus, medical center or Office of the President or institutional objectives to resolve highly complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Selects methods, techniques and evaluation criteria to obtain results. Gives presentations to associated team and other technical units. Evaluates new technologies including performing moderate to complex cost / benefit analyses. May lead a team of systems / infrastructure professionals.
- Involves serving as a senior level engineer for hardware, operating systems, and network management. Plans and coordinates the installation, configuration and testing of hardware and software components. Work may involve central or departmental computer systems and networks, including web systems administration.
- Provide senior-level system administration and programming support for ITS computing infrastructure, which supplies essential software applications to thousands of faculty, staff, students and others. This large, high-availability facility includes over 300 Unix/Linux enterprise-class servers, an EMC VNX high performance storage system, Pure High Speed Flash Storage Array, an IBM mainframe, a NetAPP V-series, Cisco MDS SAN switches, and A-10 network load balancers fabric. Central to the environment is a high performance Virtual Server environment using VMWare ESX running on Cisco UCS, and hybridized architecture with Amazon Web Services.
- Expert knowledge of the Unix/Linux and Windows operating system and programming environment, including software installations, troubleshooting, security, Makefiles, Unix shells and related scripting tools, revision control, etc., sufficient to effectively communicate with audiences with varying technological knowledge.
- Advanced experience in the configuration of complex application, storage, compute and networking environment with multiple dependencies in support of critical high impact enterprise IT services.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with VMWare ESX, Amazon Web Services and other virtualization hypervisors. This includes provisioning, performance tuning, and recovery.
- Experience in architecture of secure systems platforms, leveraging cloud services in a hybridized topology for IT service delivery.
- Knowledge of and experience with applying best practices for systems security, performance tuning, automation and orchestration with technologies including but not limited to Chef, Puppet, Ansible, BitBucket, SOA, DB2.
- Advanced knowledge of computer security best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing most complex server-based software.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrates problem-solving skills. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
Employee must be available to work evenings and weekends.
Employee must be available to travel as required.
Job offer is contingent on clear background check.