UC San Diego Policy will not allow this position to receive work visa sponsorship.
Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County.
Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
With broad impact across UCSD's billion-dollar research enterprise, Research IT Services provides a variety of digital research infrastructure services to faculty, research staff, postdoctoral and graduate students, including all academic departments, schools and divisions and UC San Diego Health. Research IT Services coordinates across campus IT providers (including ITS, SDSC, Calit2/Qualcomm Institute, the Library), the Schools, Divisions, Departments and labs, the Office of Research Affairs, the Office of Contract and Grant Administration, the Office of Post-Award Financial Services, and other critical stakeholders to deliver coordinated services critical to all aspects of the research enterprise. Research IT Services is a focused researcher-facing team that provides direct outreach and resource recommendations to faculty, conducts investigation & integration of new technologies, and coordinates between campus technology providers to deliver solutions directly to researchers.
The Research Facilitator acts as an information hub, consulting and coordinating on solutions, connecting faculty and research staff with the technology they need to accomplish world-class research. The Research Facilitator will provide technical guidance, consultation, and research support to UC San Diego faculty and researchers. Coordinate amongst campus technology providers to deliver complex solutions to research IT needs; to communicate to all levels of technical and non-technical members of the campus community to find solutions. The successful candidate will be able to maintain a comprehensive knowledge of research activities on campus, while also maintaining a clear understanding of campus technology service providers and their services. Expert interpersonal skills and professional comportment, along with proven dedication to customer service, are a must.
- Provides direct outreach, IT needs and workflow assessment, and resource recommendations to UCSD faculty and research staff.
- Investigate new technologies and provide high-level technology advice to faculty in integrating technologies.
- Coordinate between campus technology providers to deliver complex solutions directly to researchers. Assess technology needs within research labs and recommend detailed solutions. Work with and guide technical staff to implement.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive understanding of research activities on campus across all schools, divisions and disciplines.
- Act as project manager to coordinate collaboration teams and communicate with local and central IT staff and partner organizations.
- Facilitate highly technical and research-specific meetings among faculty, research staff, and IT providers.
- Applies advanced business process and analysis concepts and organizational objectives to resolve highly complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Selects methods, techniques and evaluation criteria to obtain results.
- Advanced knowledge of related areas of IT. Advanced understanding of issues around use of high-performance computing, high-performance networking, tools to support collaborative research, cloud storage and computing, and other technology used in the research arena.
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Interpersonal and communications skills to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Exceptional interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to interact credibly with high-level research faculty, IT staff, and university administrators and demonstrated tact and professionalism. Demonstrated ability to construct formal and informal written business communication.
- Advanced knowledge of business processes and procedures. Demonstrated knowledge of the research process, proposal lifecycle, data lifecycle, and workflow.
- Awareness of compliance issues surrounding research data, including federal requirements, granting agency norms.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines. Demonstrates problem-solving skills.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce. This position is eligible for full:
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- UC Retirement Plan.
For more information about UCSD Benefits visit - http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/index.html
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/total-compensation-calculator.php
Employee must be available to work evenings and weekends.
Employee must be available to travel as required.
Job offer is contingent on clear background check.