This position will remain open until filled.
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 05/04/21 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 05/13/21. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
Under the direct supervision of the Guest and Patient Services Director, the Patient Experience Manager provides support, guidance, and assistance to staff, patients, and families as they move through the complex healthcare environment. Oversees the daily operations of the Patient Experience Department and We Listen. Involves clinical expertise, coordination, and advocacy to assist patients and their families to cope successfully with the complexity of the hospital and health care system. The We Listen team assists patients with complaints about anything related to the health system. These complaints are received via the "We Listen" feedback phone line.
Primary goals are to increase patient satisfaction, resolve complaints and grievances, and to optimize outcomes. Guides the team to address patient and family concerns with mutually satisfying outcomes. Utilizes clinical expertise to triage patient complaints to the correct person, department, and level. Able to determine which cases require an in depth clinical review. Utilizes advanced interpersonal skills to ensure teams are working cohesively and troubleshoots and resolves issues when necessary. Acts as a communication liaison to understand the patient's individual needs, desires, and concerns. Utilizes voice of the customer data to identify hospital and medical group locations where intervention is necessary. Provides in depth analysis of our health system’s culture and recommends approaches and tools for operationalization of our experience vision. Researches best practices and contributes to Office of Experience transformation research. Leads the analysis of needs, design, planning, development, and execution of experience initiatives in conjunction with internal and/or external departments. Develops service recovery processes for use across the health system. Performs hospitality or related training when needed.
The incumbent is a critical team member in supporting the transformation of culture at UCSD Health and actively participates in designing new programs and services to enhance the team member and patient experience. Uses critical thinking, good judgment, and analytical skills to guide the team and propose evidence based efforts for improvement. Using outstanding written and verbal communication skills, manager ensures that staff, patients, and guests are provided a welcoming, supportive, and healing environment that is responsive to their needs.
The Manager also:
• Manages team members and operations of the Patient Experience and Guest Services departments.
• Conducts staff development/cultivation, and training.
• Models, mentors and teaches team members partner-based approaches to developing relationships.
• Monitors complaint resolution metrics/service levels and makes program improvements where necessary to improve the process and increase timeliness of response to patient issues.
• Works to streamline the complaint resolution process by building relationships with key departments in the organization who are responsible for resolving patient complaints.
• Develops and monitors escalation process of complaints and adherence to policies.
• Assures achievement of departmental goals.
• Supervises rounding activities, implementation and utilization of patient rounding electronic tools, the service recovery process, and the patient belonging retention process.
• Through data analysis, identifies trends in patient feedback and recommends and implements improvements.
• Performs other related functions as required.
A Bachelor's Degree; or an equivalent level of education/training.
Five (5+) or more years of administrative analysis, guest relations, patient experience or similar hospital or healthcare operations experience.
Able to acquire knowledge of Patient Rights & Responsibilities, Joint Commission standards, and Centers for Medicare/Medicaid regulations.
Demonstrated knowledge of Medical Terminology.
Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Knowledge of data collection, compilation, and analytical techniques.
Skills to comprehend and assess patient's grievances to quickly locate appropriate resource for assistance.
Ability to develop solutions and recommend changes and follow through with implementation.
Excellent ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Solid interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to be diplomatic and highly organized. Ability to remain calm under pressure and apply sound judgment.
Proficiency with Windows-based software including Microsoft word, Excel, Outlook. Knowledge of computer systems and software used in functional area.
Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, demanding environment with minimal supervision. Ability to manage and oversee multiple tasks simultaneously, including high daily call volume.
Ability to mentor staff and create strong teams.
- Master’s Degree in a healthcare related field.
- Clinical experience in a hospital setting.
- Experience with the CMS grievance process.
- Familiarity with UC San Diego Health and working knowledge of clinical, professional, and ancillary departments.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.