UC San Diego Policy will not allow this position to receive work visa sponsorship.
Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County.
Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
With broad impact across UCSD's billion-dollar research enterprise, Research IT Services provides a variety of digital technology services to faculty, research staff, postdoctoral and graduate students, including all academic departments, schools and divisions and UC San Diego Health. Research IT Services coordinates across campus IT providers (including ITS, SDSC, Calit2, the Library), the Schools, Divisions, Departments and labs, the Office of Research Affairs, the Office of Contract and Grant Administration, the Office of Post-Award Financial Services, and other critical stakeholders to deliver coordinated services critical to all aspects of the research enterprise. Research IT Services is a Research Computing and Data Support team that provides direct outreach and resource recommendations to faculty, conducts investigation & integration of new technologies, and coordinates between campus technology providers to deliver solutions directly to researchers.
As a highly skilled member of the campus’ research IT systems integration team, across the academic/research enterprise: Designs, develops and creates complex and comprehensive, end-to-end technology solutions for research labs across all campus departments/divisions/schools. Develops applications and system control software to support demos and proofs of concept to funding agencies. Provides an advanced level of in-depth consultation and in-depth collaboration on complex systems to researchers, labs and academic department staff on digital technologies and their integration. Facilitates rapid creation of prototypes/proofs of concepts for systems in support of grant proposals. Engages with a variety of research labs and on a variety of technologies, with a focus on integrating software/hardware and workflow tools to use high-performance compute & networking, cloud offerings and novel experimental equipment. Expected to stay expert and be a campus leader on new and emerging technology.
- Directs, plans, designs, develops, modifies, and deploys highly complex systems integration solutions that have broad, location-wide, institution-wide and / or multi-institutional impact. Engineers the most complex and advanced solutions to address integration of vendor, community source, and locally developed hardware and / or software systems and subsystems to achieve an integrated implementation. Tailor such solutions to specific research lab and research collaboration needs across the campus research enterprise, spanning all schools, divisions and departments as well as regional, national, and international networks.
- Provides the highest level of in-depth consultation, training and guidance to research lab staff and local IT teams across all campus departments/divisions/schools on digital technologies and processes.
- Oversees and / or develops highly complex monitoring protocols across multiple networks and platforms, including traffic and usage, performance of the system, metric testing, troubleshooting and identification of metric issues and system optimization for highly complex multi-platform environments. Work includes network connection configuration and coordination across local experimental and production networks, regional, national, and international networks with multiple providers, including coordinating with campus network engineers and architects.
- Assesses highly complex technical problems and provides practical recommendations in line with the research process and research data life cycle.
- Advanced knowledge of systems integration deploying complex systems integration solutions. Demonstrated advanced ability to integrate software, hardware, and cloud services in a scientific research environment.
- Advanced skills associated with system integration design, modification, implementation, and deployment in a complex environment. Demonstrated ability to integrate and manage high-performance compute/storage /network systems, including experience using and tuning 10G/40G/100G connections, tuning operating systems to maximize data throughput, and managing block-, file-, and object-based storage, and various filesystems (e.g., NFS, ZFS) under Linux.
- Demonstrated ability to create software specifications. Demonstrated advanced ability to develop software, especially system control software, using Python, Unix/Linux shell scripts, and others.
- Demonstrated ability to understand functional needs of the campus / Health Systems and / or UC System and how systems can support those needs.
- Demonstrated ability to interface with senior level technical and non-technical management on a regular basis. Excellent communication skills, particularly written communication. Demonstrated ability keeping technical records and documentation.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce. This position is eligible for full:
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- UC Retirement Plan.
For more information about UCSD Benefits visit - http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/index.html
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/total-compensation-calculator.php
Employee must be available to work evenings and weekends.
Employee must be available to travel as required.
Job offer is contingent on clear background check.